Jesus and Barabbas
Jesus and Barabbas: The Danger of Judging a Person by Their Past
When we hear the word “criminal,” we often make a decision about a person immediately. We remember what they did, what people say about them, and what their past looks like. We may believe they deserve rejection, shame, or punishment forever.
But the story of Jesus and Barabbas gives us a powerful warning: human judgment can be very different from God's grace.
Barabbas was a prisoner and a criminal. The Gospels tell us that he had been involved in serious wrongdoing. When Pilate presented Jesus and Barabbas to the crowd, the people chose Barabbas to be released and Jesus to be crucified.
Think about the tragedy of that moment.
The crowd looked at Jesus and Barabbas and made a judgment—but their judgment was completely wrong.
We Can Make the Same Mistake Today
Sometimes we look at someone and say:
“He is a bad person.”
“She will never change.”
“He is a criminal.”
“She cannot be trusted.”
“That person doesn't deserve another chance.”
Perhaps the person really did something wrong. We should not pretend that evil is good or that wrongdoing has no consequences. Justice matters.
But there is a difference between holding someone accountable for what they have done and deciding that their entire identity will forever be defined by their worst mistake.
A person's past may explain where they have been, but it does not necessarily tell us where they are going.
Barabbas Reminds Us of Our Own Condition
We may look at Barabbas and think, “He was the criminal.”
But the Gospel reminds us that none of us can stand before God claiming that we are righteous because we are better than someone else.
Jesus said:
“Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”— John 8:7
The Christian message is not that sin doesn't matter.
The message is that grace is greater than our sin.
Paul wrote:
“While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”— Romans 5:8
Jesus didn't die only for respectable people.
He died for sinners.
He died for people with broken pasts.
He died for people society had rejected.
He died for people who had made terrible mistakes.
And that means we should be very careful before we declare that someone is beyond redemption.
Don't Repeat the Mistake of the Crowd
The crowd saw Barabbas as a criminal and Jesus as a man worthy of death.
They were wrong.
That should humble us.
Sometimes we can become so convinced that we know someone's character that we stop listening, stop understanding, and stop leaving room for repentance.
We can become like the crowd—not because we physically crucify someone, but because our words can crucify a person's reputation, dignity, and future.
A person may have committed a crime.
A person may have failed morally.
A person may have made terrible decisions.
But if God offers repentance and restoration, who are we to say that change is impossible?
Why I Choose Not to Judge People
Because of this, I have learned not to judge people simply by their condition, their past, their mistakes, or what others say about them.
I don't know the complete story of another person's life.
I don't know what they have experienced.
I don't know what is happening inside their heart.
And most importantly, I am not God.
So when I see someone struggling, failing, or living in a condition I don't understand, I choose to leave the final judgment to God.
That does not mean I call wrong things right. It does not mean I ignore injustice or allow people to hurt others.
It simply means:
I will not put myself in God's place.
I can pray for them.
I can speak the truth in love.
I can set boundaries when necessary.
I can forgive.
I can protect people from harm.
But I will leave the final judgment of that person's heart and future in the hands of God.
Justice and Mercy Must Work Together
This does not mean that criminals should never face justice.
If someone commits a crime, society needs protection and the law needs to function. Victims deserve justice. Forgiveness does not mean ignoring wrongdoing.
But justice should not become hatred.
Accountability should not become permanent condemnation.
And punishment should not mean that we stop believing that a person can change.
Jesus showed both truth and grace.
He never called evil good—but He also never treated sinners as though they were permanently beyond God's reach.
We Don't Know What Happened to Barabbas
Interestingly, the Bible never tells us what happened to Barabbas after he was released.
We don't know whether he continued his criminal life.
We don't know whether he repented.
We don't know whether he ever followed Jesus.
His story simply ends with him being released.
Perhaps that silence itself teaches us something:
Don't write the final chapter of another person's life when God has not finished writing it.
You may see someone's past.
God sees their potential.
You may see a criminal.
God may see someone who can become a testimony.
You may see a failure.
God may see someone who can be restored.
You may see a broken person.
God may see someone who can help heal others one day.
Before Judging Someone, Remember Barabbas
The next time we are tempted to label someone because of their past, we should pause.
Ask ourselves:
Do I know the whole story?
Have I allowed room for repentance?
Am I seeking justice, or am I seeking revenge?
Am I correcting someone, or destroying them with my words?
Would Jesus see this person differently from the way I see them?
The story of Barabbas reminds us that being guilty does not mean being beyond grace.
And the story of Jesus reminds us that the innocent One willingly carried the punishment of the guilty.
That is the heart of the Gospel.
We should never excuse sin.
But neither should we forget mercy.
Don't let someone's worst day become the definition of their entire life.
Because if God judged all of us only by our worst moments, none of us would have a testimony of grace.
And that is why I choose not to judge anyone simply because of his or her condition. I will do what is right, show mercy where I can, pray for people, and leave the final judgment to God.
“For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” — 1 Samuel 16:7
Comments
Post a Comment
Plz do not enter any spam link in the comment box